Friday, March 8, 2019

2.7 Mid-Semester 2 Reflection

Max Miller
Mid-Semester 2 Reflection

1. The most important thing I feel that I learned about 19th-century immigration was how much immigration impacted life at the time. Specifically in the United States Immigration was a big deal and I found it very interesting to learn how much of our history is actually attributed to immigrants.

2. To me the vast complexity of immigration around the world today is something that I found to be very important. The first step to knowing something is finding out what you don't know and upon my research on the immigration crisis in the EU I found out that there is a lot that I do not know. This resulted in a vast amount of information that I accumulated and when I analyzed that information I found out that immigration around the world and specifically in Europe is a very complex topic and everybody has their own take on the problem and their own evidence to support their solution. I see this as important because it really opened my eyes to how complex the world is especially when it comes to a global issue.

3. The 2 most challenging aspects of living that people faced in the 19th-century, I think was the quality of life and the lack of technology to solve simple problems. I think that America was very successful with meeting both of these challenges. Because back them the quality of life was very poor compared to how it is now and manual labor was still a major factor in everyday problems. I think that because of this it forced people to develop new technologies like the toilet . Something very common in life today but a new invention back them and groundbreaking for the world at that time. The invention of such technologies dramatically changed the way America and even the world is today because the quality of life has improved a lot since then and challenges that were often very time consuming and laborious to fix are now much easier to due thanks to the new technology and the need to develop new solutions to meet such problems.

4. The Highline and the concept of progressivism have similarities and differences. The similarities are that the Highline was something that has never been done before and nothing like it has ever been seen which goes along with progressivist views on how in order to move forward as a society some things are going to need to be done that have not been done before. The Highline was also accomplished by the knowledge from many experts such as gardeners, engineers, and business people who worked together to make the surrounding area a better place to be around this is what progressivism supports, the collaborative effort from different people with all a single goal. Make the world a better place. Although there are similarities there are also differences between the Highline and progressivism such as how the highline relied in part on wealthy powerful businesses and businessmen supporting it which progressivism is against and how it is still an old structure that could have potentially been torn down and replaced with something new and potentially more modern. 



Highline-Nyc


No comments:

Post a Comment

Semester II Final

Max Miller Part A.  1. Before doing my research, I predict the three most highly ranked presidents in US history to be Washington, Jeff...